What Happens to my Recycled Waste Discussed by 1st Choice Waste Management
Waste and recycling have fast become a hot topic across the world and more and more of us are taking time to recycle as much as we can from our homes and businesses, however, the question we are all asking ourselves is, “What Happens to my Recycled Waste?”
In the UK we produce a huge 200 million metric tonnes of waste in a year and a massive 23% of our waste gets put into landfill. There is a European Union target for the UK to recycle 50% of all of the waste produced by 2020. The average household in the UK only currently recycled around 44% of their waste in a 12 month period. Sadly, the UK has some of the worst recycling levels in Western Europe and this is something we all need to focus and work on.
UK Recycling Statistics
(Information sourced from Gov.UK)
- The UK recycling rate for waste from Households was 45.0% in 2018, decreasing from 45.5% in 2017
- There is an EU target for the UK to recycle at least 50% of household waste by 2020
- Figures for 2017 show that 70.0% of UK packaging waste was either recycled or recovered, compared to 71.4% in 2016. This exceeds the EU target to recycle or recover at least 60% of packaging waste, however, it has decreased slightly year on year
What is Landfill?
A landfill is a structure built into, or on top of the ground where non-recyclable rubbish is disposed of. The rubbish is isolated from groundwater, air and rain to try and prevent pollution by the landfill area by having a bottom liner, although environmentalists are dubious as to how effective this is now and how effective it will be in the future. The waste put into landfill will take millions of years to decompose so the more and more rubbish we allow to go to landfill the more and more we will damage the environment.
The purpose of a landfill is to bury the waste in such a way that it’s isolated from groundwater, is kept dry and won’t be in contact with air. These conditions mean the waste won’t decompose as much and emit as much methane gas, although the steps taken across the world will never negate this.
What are the issues with Landfill Sites?
Lots of rubbish in landfill contains chemicals that infiltrate both groundwater and soil. These chemicals can have a devastating impact on wildlife and our water sources which will, and are impacting the crops we grow, animals grazing and our food and water sources. Landfills emit methane gas are twenty times more potent than carbon dioxide, and a major contributor towards global warming
About Middlesbrough’s Waste
The amount of waste recycled by Middlesbrough Council rocketed from around 300 tonnes a month in June 2013 to around 1,000 tonnes a month five and a half years later in January 2019.
Residents can even win a £50 voucher if they follow the “golden rules” of recycling and are chosen as the town’s top recyclers in a weekly competition.
Recycling is collected every two weeks, alternating with the collection of green waste in the spring and summer months, and should be at the kerbside – either in the special blue-lidded bin or clear plastic bags provided – by 7 am on the correct day.
Middlesbrough and Stockton residents can use the Household Waste Recycling Centre on Haverton Hill Road, Stockton, to dispose of excess recycling waste. It’s open from 8 am to 7 pm in the summer and 8 am to 6 pm in the winter.
Items should be loose, not in bags, rinsed clean and squashed flat. Excess items can be put in plastic bags or sacks (but not black bags) beside the bin.
Recycling in Middlesbrough?
What waste can be recycled in Middlesbrough:
- Glass bottles and jars
- Newspaper, magazines, paper, flat folded cardboard, brochures, promotional leaflets, directories
- Soft drink, fruit juice, soup and other cartons – these should be squashed of folded flat
- Steel and aluminium food and drink cans and tins – these should be rinsed and squashed if possible
- Yoghurt pots, ice cream tubs, plastic drinks, shampoo, washing up liquid, bleach and milk bottles (rinsed and squashed)
What waste can’t be recycled in Middlesbrough:
- Broken glass, Pyrex cookware, bulbs, mirrors
- Polystyrene foam packaging, used kitchen paper, wipes and nappies Takeaway containers including pizza boxes or any takeaway food containers
- Polystyrene and foam packaging
- Metal objects other than those named above
- Rigid plastic (eg toys and beakers) Clingfilm, plastic bags
Recycled Business Waste
Lots of businesses have many types of waste they need to dispose of that won’t be collected by the council’s waste collection service. In recent years the focus on responsible waste disposal and recycled waste have increased and this includes business waste as well. There is now a huge emphasis on greener solutions to the waste your business generates, therefore, waste management is becoming more and more important for business owners.
Choosing 1st Choice Waste Management for your waste management means you can trust us to process your waste in an environmentally friendly way. Our company ethos is to support the environment by taking care to properly dispose of your waste in a green and environmentally friendly way.
We take the environmental impact of commercial, industrial and domestic waste disposal very seriously and our company goal is to recycle as much of the waste we handle as possible. Our highly dedicated waste team ensures we dispose of our waste in the most environmentally friendly way possible.
We offer a highly efficient waste management and recycling service that ensures waste from all industrial and commercial sectors, including hazardous, difficult, and unique waste produce is collected and disposed of responsibly. Every business is different and waste disposal can be complex, however, our highly efficient and expert team will work with you to understand your waste requirements. Our services include; collection and recovery for large or small quantities of waste and our waste management service are unrivalled in the North East. We have responsibly recycled tonnes of business waste across the North and will continue to do this by working with our customers.
Any possible waste is recycled in our own Biomass Boiler which converts all possible natural waste materials into energy which then passes clean electricity to the grid. Our biomass boiler is a green waste solution as it reduces the waste that is generated and produces environmentally friendly renewable energy.
What is Biomass Energy?
Biomass energy is a renewable energy source generated from natural or once-living material. Biomass materials include; wood pellets, wood, branches, roots, grass clippings, manure, crops and some other types of waste. When the materials are recycled or burned, the chemical energy that is created is released as heat (biomass). Biomass can provide energy for homes, businesses and communities, as well as creating steam which can drive wind and tide turbines.
Biomass is an extremely versatile renewable energy source as it can be used to generate both heat and electricity, it can be used in combination with heat and power units and it can also be used as liquid fuel for the automotive industry. Biomass is known as a carbon-neutral energy source because the carbon emitted and the carbon removed from the atmosphere is balanced.
We are moving away from using fossil fuel in the UK and the use of biomass, as well as other renewable energy sources, is vital for us to protect the environment and protect us when fossil fuels run out. Biomass contributes to approximately 4% of the UK’s energy sources, compared to wind and solar accounting for approximately 11-12%. The Renewable Energy Association’s report in June 2019 suggests that recycled bioenergy could triple from 4% to at least 16% by 2032. Biomass will, and has to play a vital role in the UK’s emission reduction targets.
1st Choice Waste Management is a registered waste broker based in the North Region and our established and reputable brokerage services ensure your business makes money from the waste that you produce. We aim to be the most competitive in the waste brokerage industry and we offer you money back for the business waste we remove, making it win-win for us both.
Why should you choose 1st Choice Recycled Waste Brokerage Services?
- To reduce the cost of your waste management
- A sustainable waste solution
- A way of monetising your waste
- We offer a range of waste brokerage solutions
- You have multiple sites that require waste brokerage solutions
- A reduction in your carbon footprint and a way of ensuring your waste is disposed of in the most environmentally friendly way
- You want a trusted, reputable, efficient and reliable waste brokerage service
- You have an extensive range of waste on one, or across several sites
- You require a bespoke waste solution including collection and disposal
- You need to understand the waste outputs across your business and, or sites through waste audits and reporting
- You require a waste planning service
- You want to work with a customer-focused, waste brokerage service
- You want to improve your waste efficiencies and reduce your waste costs
- You want to work with an expert waste brokerage service that has a unique and specialist approach to waste management best practice
- You require a flexible waste management agreement which allows change to your waste collection services according to your businesses needs
- You want to consolidate waste collections across sites locally and nationally with one invoice and one point of cont
We collect and process an extensive range of waste to fit your business needs and requirements and we will work alongside you to ensure you are disposing of your business waste in a green and environmentally friendly way. Our expert waste brokers are extremely knowledgeable in the waste brokerage industry and we work with you to ensure our service is bespoke to you and your business needs.
About 1st Choice Recycled Waste Management
In the UK we have some of the worst recycling levels in Western Europe and one of our goals at 1st Choice Waste is to change this for the better. Everything we do is working towards the European Union target for the UK of recycling 50% of all waste produced by 2020. Our pledge to our customers and the environment is to always prioritise recycling before any of our other services as we know that recycled waste is one highly effective way to stop pollution of our land and oceans.
The waste we collect is sorted at our waste transfer station and this means any materials that can be recycled will be. Recycling is at the heart of our waste business operation and our state of the art Biomass Boiler recycles the waste we collect from you by burning it as a biofuel which is a highly effective and green energy source.
There will always be some items that cannot be recycled at 1st Choice Waste Management, however, the systems and technology we have are advanced enough to deal with most waste that is produced.
If you are a business that needs a Waste Management Company to help you with your waste, whatever that may be, then contact us today on 01642 478734 and one of our experts will be able to help. We can tell you about the services we offer and you can also benefit from the waste you produce. We will work with you to help you understand what you can do to reduce your waste output and we will offer you a bespoke waste management service to suit you and your business, whatever your waste needs.
Ben works for the marketing team at 1st Choice Waste Management, he has a passion for marketing and helping businesses to grow.