Waste Brokerage FAQ’s Discussed by 1st Choice Waste
What is Waste Brokerage?
A waste broker or waste brokerage is defined as ‘any undertaking arranging the disposal or recovery of waste on behalf of others, including waste brokers who do not take physical possession of the waste’.
Any business offering a waste brokerage service has to be registered with the Environment Agency as this allows them to legally make money from the waste that they collect.
Brokers are registered by the Environment Agency in England and Wales, SEPA in Scotland, Natural Resource Wales in Wales and the NIEA in Northern Ireland.
How can you check if a Waste Broker is registered?
The Environment Agency operates an On-line Public Register where you can check to find a registered waste carrier or check the validity of someone claiming to be a registered Waste Carrier.
SEPA and NRW also have search facilities available.
What does a Waste Broker do?
A waste broker provides waste management services to a variety of businesses and they support customers who are looking for a streamlined and efficient waste service. They will arrange ad hoc and regular waste collections, recycling, recovery or delivery of waste between parties and often buy or sell waste themselves.
A professional waste broker manages all aspects of a customer’s waste removal and disposal and as part of their waste service, they are responsible for customer care and invoicing themselves.
Why would you use a Waste Brokerage?
Customers choose to use a waste broker to ensure that all of their waste collection and disposal needs are managed by one business, taking away the need for them to do it themselves on an ad hoc or regular basis.
Waste brokerages make their money from either buying the waste they collect at a fair rate with the opportunity for a modest markup, offering a reduced collection and disposal cost or they focus on implementing waste cost-savings measures for business and split the savings with their customers. Every waste brokerage service will offer different services and you should always work with a business that offers you a bespoke service to fit your business needs.
What are the Benefits of a Waste Brokerage Service?
- Regular, reliable and efficient waste management including collection and disposal
- Real-time reporting
- Waste management planning services
- Regular waste audits
- Commercial wheelie bins for hygienic and environmentally friendly storage of waste
- Dedicated account management with regular reviews
- Customer and business requirements catered for on an individual and bespoke basis
- Environmentally friendly waste collection and disposal to ensure a reduction in waste just being disposed of in landfill
- Individual commercial reviews to increase waste efficiencies, reduce costs, to support a reduction in businesses carbon footprint and their impact on the environment
- Hazardous waste experience and speciality
- An unbiased and specialist approach to waste management best practice
- Flexible waste agreements which allow changes to waste collections according to business needs
- Consolidation of waste collections and disposal across sites locally and nationally with one invoice, one point of contact, one report and at a reduced cost
Are there different types of Waste Brokerage Services?
Some brokers will focus solely on the collection and disposal of sustainable packaging and facilities services whilst other waste brokers will specialise in supplying waste equipment.
Waste brokerage’s will in most cases offer businesses a better price for their waste due to their bulk waste buying power and established relationships with hauliers.
Hauliers are defined as those individuals or businesses that own their own vehicles to collect waste and transport it for processing.
What is the Waste Framework Directive?
The Waste Framework Directive defines a broker as ‘any undertaking arranging the recovery or disposal of waste on behalf of others, including brokers who do not take physical possession of the waste’.
Any business or person that arranges for someone else’s waste to be collected and disposed of or recycled MUST be registered as a waste broker. If you are using someone to arrange the collection of your waste who is not a registered waste carrier, then you must ensure they are a registered waste broker.
Under the new Waste (England and Wales) Regulations, there are now two tiers of Broker.
An Upper Tier broker provides waste services professionally and who is not a lower-tier broker. These must register every three years for a fee.
A lower-tier Broker includes:
- a charity or voluntary organisation
- a waste collection authority
- a waste disposal authority
- a waste regulation authority
- a broker who only arranges for the recovery or disposal of:
- animal by-products
- waste from a mine or quarry
- waste from premises used for agriculture
Brokers are a consistent point of contact for a business to manage all of their waste outputs, equipment and waste reporting needs. If hauliers have reliability issues- generally Brokers will have back up hauliers available so your business is able to minimise any interruptions to its operation.
About 1st Choice Waste Management Brokerage Service
At 1st Choice Waste Management, we are a registered waste broker based in the North East of England. Our waste brokerage services allow your business to make money from the waste that you provide us.
Our commercial waste brokerage service aims to be the most competitive in the waste brokerage market and we offer value for money for the waste you provide us.
Our experience with waste brokerage makes us one of the region’s most established and reputable waste management groups in the North region.
Why would you choose 1st Choice Waste Brokerage Services?
- You are looking to reduce the cost of your waste management
- You want to change to a sustainable waste solution
- You want to monetise your waste assets
- You need a range of waste brokerage solutions
- You have multiple sites that require waste brokerage solutions
- You want to reduce your carbon footprint and ensure your waste is disposed of in the most environmentally friendly way as it can be
- You need a trusted, reputable, efficient and reliable waste brokerage service
- You have an extensive range of waste on one or multiple sites
- You need a bespoke solution for your waste management including collection and disposal
- You want to understand your waste across your business and or sites through waste audits and reporting
- You need a waste planning service
- You want to work with a customer-focused waste brokerage service
- You want to increase your waste efficiencies and reduce your waste costs
- You are looking for an expert waste brokerage service that has an unbiased and specialist approach to waste management best practice
- You need a flexible waste management agreement which allows change to your waste collection services according to your businesses needs
- You need to consolidate waste collections and disposal across sites locally and nationally with one invoice and one point of contact
You can trust 1st Choice Waste Management Group to change the way that your business views and disposes of its waste. We can process an extensive range of waste to fit your needs and requirements.
Whether you need a specific solution or require more information on the process then please contact our waste brokerage team today to help you find the waste management service you need and which will have many benefits for you and us. Our highly experienced waste brokers are extremely knowledgeable in the waste brokerage industry and will ensure that our service is bespoke to you, your needs as well as benefiting both parties involved.
We will review your business’s waste and advise you of the type of waste service you need and provide you with options that are best suited to you and your business.
1st choice Waste Professional and Approach to Waste Brokerage
Our infrastructure is tailor-made to meet your businesses needs and includes anything from selling on specific types of waste, such as wood, building rubble or other construction waste to dealing with mixed loads. our experts ensure that your waste generates the best value return for you and your business and our unrivalled service is second to none.
Our waste transfer station operates to recycle as much waste as possible and we are highly focused on being environmentally aware and focused. Recycling is at the heart of what we do and it is our priority to recycle as much waste as possible. Our aim is to help support the UK in its goals to remain and improve our sustainability and environmental goals and consistently improve.
With businesses being interested and committed to greener solutions for their waste, 1st Choice Waste Management is the ideal solution for greener and more environmentally friendly waste brokerage. We always ensure that the recycling of as much of our and our customer’s waste as possible is at the top of our priorities when processing the waste that your business generates.
We offer you an unrivalled service that is tailored to your needs and requirements to ensure that you have access to a comprehensive and highly efficient waste brokerage service and we offer waste brokerage services of all scales and across multiple sites if you need it both locally and nationally.
If you are interested in selling your waste materials then our commercial brokerage service is exactly what you are looking for. Contact us today on 01642 478734 to find out about our superior, expert and extensive Waste Brokerage service, or for any information you need about the other waste services we offer.
If your business requires waste brokerage services then look no further than 1st Choice Waste Management Group. We will help you improve your waste disposal and ensure you benefit from your business’s waste.
Ben works for the marketing team at 1st Choice Waste Management, he has a passion for marketing and helping businesses to grow.